Gingivitis is an infection that attacks the bones and tissues that surround and support the teeth. It is caused by the buildup of plaque on the teeth, above and below the gum line. If left untreated, gingivitis can cause the loss of permanent teeth. This disease is usually painless, so you may not know that you have it. However, if you experience any of the following, Dr. Bryce E. Justesen may treat gingivitis in Mesa, Arizona:
- Gums that bleed easily when you brush and floss
- Red, swollen, or sore gums
- Bad breath or a bad taste that will not go away
- Gums that are pulling away from the teeth
- Deep pockets forming between the teeth and gums
- Loose or drifting permanent teeth
- A change in your bite
If you have gingivitis, our dentist may recommend that you have extra professional teeth cleanings. Our hygienist will clean all of your teeth of plaque and tartar. If this is not sufficient, our dentist may perform a deep cleaning procedure called scaling and root planing. Our dentist will clean all of your teeth of plaque, all the way down to the roots. Any rough spots on your tooth roots will be smoothed, making it harder for plaque to adhere to them.
Please contact our office today to learn more and to schedule an appointment.