We can take the stress out of a tooth extraction.
Tooth extraction means to have a tooth pulled. There are many reasons why Dr. Bryce E. Justesen may perform tooth extraction in Mesa, Arizona. If your mouth is crowded, there may not be room for new teeth to grow in. A new tooth become impacted, or trapped, between the jawbone and the gum line. When this occurs, our dentist may extract the tooth. Wisdom teeth often become impacted and require extraction. If a tooth has decay or an infection that is too extensive to be treated by root canal therapy, our dentist may pull it to avoid the spread of infection. For patients with compromised immune systems, even the risk of infection is reason to pull a tooth. Gingivitis is a disease that attacks the gums and bone that surround and support your teeth. If gingivitis causes one or more of your permanent teeth to loosen, Dr. Bryce E. Justesen may recommend extraction.
After extraction, our dentist will send you home to recover for a few days. Here are some tips to make your recovery as comfortable as possible:
- Take painkillers as prescribed
- Bite on a gauze pad for three to four hours after extraction to control bleeding
- Use an ice pack to control swelling
- Relax for at least 24 hours and limit your activity for the next few days
- Eat soft foods like soup, pudding, and yogurt on the day of extraction
Please contact our dental office today to learn more and to schedule an appointment.